TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL FLOAT
Good planning is imperative for a successful trip. Double-check your equipment, supplies and route.
- Pack extra clothing, shoes, food, camping gear, etc. in waterproof containers.
- Evenly distribute your load, with the heaviest gear in the middle, so it is balanced. Secure all gear to the canoe to avoid losing it downstream if you capsize.
- When entering and exiting a canoe, keep your center of gravity low, avoid standing.
- Follow the main channel as the current cuts back and forth across the river. Crossing later may mean walking.
- If you encounter lateral winds, hug the upwind bank as much as possible.
WINTER FLOATS -Looking for something to do that's
a little OUTSIDE of the norm during the winter months?
not consider Winter Rafting? Listen to this OutdoorNebraska Radio Interview
with Doug Graham-Niobrara