Located near Elyria, Fort Hartsuff is typical of Plains infantry
outposts. It stood as a buffer between settlers and Indians in the North Loup River valley from 1874 81. Its nine major buildings were built of concrete, which helped them withstand the passage of time. Acquired as a historical park in 1961, it has been restored as it was when soldiers patrolled the Loup and Cedar river valleys and pioneered a new trail to the Black Hills gold fields in the 1870s.